The Twinning project is a capacity-strengthening project. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to strengthening the capacities of the Commissariat for Refugees and Migration and other relevant institutions for implementation of migration and asylum policy and procedures in line with the EU legislation, regulations and directives.
The project duration is 12 months, and the project is funded by the European Union with the IPA programme with an amount of 1.000 000 EUR.
Serbia recognizes the need for further efforts to ensure compatibility with the EU standards. The attainment of results proposed under this project will contribute to the fulfilment of multiple priorities defined in the strategic documents.
With the recent adoption of legislation in the field of asylum and migration, the first phase of harmonization of national legislation with the Union acquis was carried out. The national legislation has to be further aligned. Second phase of harmonization will result in further alignment with the Union acquis. Apart from the transposition process, the national legislation should be further adjusted with directly applicable EU legislation not foreseen to be transposed into the national legal system (i.e. regulation and decisions).
While directives in the field of immigration and asylum are thoroughly analyzed other type of legislative acts (with exception of Dublin Regulation) is not asses and compare with existing national framework. This can cause collision between national legislation and EU legislation and subsequently problems in its implementation. In the context of significant changes in the field of Union acquis on asylum and migration, it is necessary to continuously conduct analysis of EUR LEX directories related to asylum and immigration, list directly applicable Union acquis and establish monitoring system. In addition, although the area of asylum and migration is to a large extent harmonized with Union acquis, there is still need for improving knowledge and gaining experience in the application of EU standards.
- Democracy and Human Rights
- EuropeAid reference
- The national legislation further adjusted with directly applicable EU legislation
- Increased capacity of relevant institutions to fulfill obligations arising by EU accession
- Improved national coordination mechanisms and cooperation with EASO and other relevant EU agencies and networks
- City / District
- EU Contribution
- 1,000,000 €
- Negotiating chapter
- 24 - Justice, freedom and security
- Implementation period
- October 2019 - October 2020
- Commissariat for Refugees and Migration
- Implemented by
- Swedish Migration Agency (Lead Partner), Immigration and Naturalization Services of the Netherlands (Junior Partner) and Ministry of Interior of the Republic of Slovenia (Junior Partner)